[lit-ideas] Re: Military Studies in the Jihad Against the Tyrants

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 07:43:39 -0600

LH (quoting a translator quoting Saddam in a February CBS interview):

Hussein said that his journey in life, including his eventual death, is left in the hands of Allah, his God. He said, "Whatever Allah decides. We are believers. We believe in what he decides. There is no value for any life without imam, without faith."<<

How does this differ from any other religious belief that it is all in the hands of God? What makes it Islamic?

Saddam was an Islamic Militant...<<

That term I take to mean he was a warrior for Islamism. He most definitely was not, he was a warrior for himself only.

or we could say with equal veracity, he was a Militant Islamic or a Militant Muslim.<<

I interpret 'Militant Islamic' to mean he was aggressively Islamic which differs from 'Militant Muslim' in that Islamists are much more fundamentalist than 'Muslim' connotates. I've never read or heard any anything to suggest that Hussein was anything more that a Muslim, probably with the same fervor as Bush, Sr. is Presbyterian.

I don't see why you should have a problem with this.<<

Maybe because Andreas pays more attention to words than you do.

Mike Geary
butting in again
(sorry)
Memphis