[lit-ideas] Mein Herz brennt

  • From: Chris Bruce <bruce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 03:22:31 +0200

Here, as promised (or threatened, as the case may be) is my posting on what some members of another (i.e., other than the 'popular') branch of the music business thought of some of Rammstein's music, and what they subsequently did with it. (I've concocted it for most part from excerpts from Internet websites as it is now well past 3 a.m. and I need my sleep. Also, 'I couldn't have put it better myself …' - in spite of some awkward phrasing which arises, no doubt, from problems with translation from an originally German text.)

"… innovation in music is still possible. … Friedrich Duerrenmatt, once wrote … that art is mostly to be found where one would least expect. Producer Sven Helbig and composer Torsten Rasch weren't seeking and yet they found … the lyrics of [Rammstein singer] Till Lindemann. After a long process of transformation they were left with a cycle of Lieder … that … forms part of the tradition of Gustav Mahler's "Kindertotenlieder", [based] on poems by Friedrich Rueckert, or Richard Strauss' "Vier Letzen Liedern", inspired by Hermann Hesse. However, while … highly reminiscent of German Romanticism and the later Viennese classical romantics, the external framework remains very current and explosive.

" … Sven Helbig firstly just read singer Till Lindemann lyrics without knowing how they had been interpreted by the group. He was working with extremely sensitive lines that played with the stench of human urine, fears and emotions. He was immediately struck by a fragility and spiritualization [sic] that fascinated, that evoked memories, released deja-vu's, images and finally sound associations. … The composer Torsten Rasch was the right person to do justice to these reinterpretations … .

" … Rasch captures the lyrics with tenderness, enveloping them in the full force of more than one hundred years of broadening tonal knowledge …. Although Rasch restricted himself to the instrumentation of the symphony orchestra the echo of the original melodies is present. This leaves the listener to interpret whether it is the rhythmic flow of the words that awakens associations with the original interpretation or the original song melodies are simply being summoned forth in new, unfamiliar garb.

"We are finally left with an unusual cycle of Lieder … that … polarises and will be the cause of controversy. It will have its frenetic supporters who recognise the apotheosis of a forgotten tonal narration in this way of approaching contemporary lyrics …. It will mobilise its opponents who … will reject out of hand a reinterpretation of lyrics that were originally written by a rock group. … In the end, and notwithstanding all the debate, 'Mein Herz Brennt' is simply beautiful. …"

<end of excerpts>

What is being discussed here is the CD 'Mein Herz brennt': a song cycle based on the works of Rammstein, composed by Torsten Rasch and performed by the Dresden Symphony Orchestra (et al. - see below) led by John Carewe with narrator Katharina Thalbach and the highly acclaimed bass Rene Pape, which won the 2004 Echo Classical Award for best world premiere recording.

I've sometimes wondered what members of the symphony orchestras involved think when they participate in such - what are commonly labelled as 'crossover' - projects. I'll publicly admit here that I used to suspect that not a few of them went along because, after all, they were professionals and they had a contract. But here's what producer Sven Helbig (SH) said in an interview conducted by Tess Crebin (C):

"C: Amazingly, when you first decided to create a new orchestra and book a concert hall for rehearsals, you were able to get some of the world's best instrumentalists to heed your call and come to Dresden. How did you pay for that, I mean, how does one fund this kind of thing?

"SH: We did not have to pay for it. We contacted the best musicians in some of the greatest orchestras around the world, told them what we wanted to do and asked if they would be interested. As it turned out, there were plenty who wanted the chance to play the kind of music they wanted but their orchestral contracts did not include in their schedule. So in their spare time they came to Dresden, free of charge, to perform with us. It was quite astonishing, really."

Astonishing, indeed. I'm not particularly a fan of Rammstein (or any other artists who deal primarily, or even secondarily for that matter, with "the stench of human urine, fears and emotions"). I have a lot of difficulty listening to Mahler's "Kindertotenlieder" ["Songs on the deaths of children"]. I've only heard excerpts of the CD 'Mein Herz brennt'. (When I first heard the excerpts I have - and am as I write this re-auditing - and subsequently tried to order it, my local record store of choice said that there were at that time problems with distribution. Lawrence's posts rekindled my interest - for which I thank him - and I went in today [yesterday now] to order a copy, which I was told would arrive tomorrow [i.e., later today - this is getting confusing; like i said, I need my sleep].)

This is not easy listening. Here's a brief excerpt from what I'm currently hearing:

Nun liebe Kinder gebt fein acht
ich bin die Stimme aus dem Kissen
ich hab euch etwas mitgebracht
hab es aus meiner Brust gerissen

Mit diesem Herz hab ich die Macht
die Augenlider zu erpressen
ich singe bis der Tag erwacht
ein heller Schein am Firmament
Mein Herz brennt
…

Now dear children pay close attention
I am the voice from your pillow
I've brought you something
I've torn it out of my chest

With this heart I have the power
to extort your eyelids
I sing until the day awakes
a bright appearance in the heavens
My heart burns
…

[A website concerned with virtually all aspects of the band Rammstein points out this song's relationship to a children's show called Das Sandmännchen (The Little Sandman) that started in the mid-1950s (and with which virtually every German who has grown up since then is familiar). Every night the Sandmännchen would tell bedtime stories, starting with "Nun, liebe Kinder, gebt fein Acht. Ich habe euch etwas mitgebracht". According to this website the working title for "Mein Herz brennt" was "Sandmann".]

I will post more when I've heard the entire cycle (and read the piece by Berlinski which Lawrence has recommended, so that I can bring discussion back around to something a little closer to Lawrence's concerns).

Chris Bruce
anticipating nothing good
from the sandman
after what he's just been listening to,