[lit-ideas] Re: Massive Change

  • From: "Erin Holder" <erin.holder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 23:28:06 -0400

Lois Lowry.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Saturday, April 16, 2005 11:02 PM
  Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Massive Change

  There's a kid-book, i.e. a book written geared towards teens, called "The
  Giver".  I can't recall the author, though I could find it w/out much
trouble.
  Although a book stuck in the "juvenile" section of the library,  if you read
  it (it would take maybe 20 minutes) I wonder how it would interface  with
your
  post here.

  Julie Krueger
  force-fed juvenile lit by her middle-schooler who wants to share everything
  she loves reading....thank God.
  ========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Massive Change
  Date: 3/27/05 10:54:04 P.M. Central Standard Time  From: _mccreery@xxxxxxxx
  (mailto:mccreery@xxxxxxx)   To: _ANTHRO-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  (mailto:ANTHRO-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) ,  _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  The latest update to my ongoing series on  bestoftheblogs.com.

  ===========

  _Massive Change_ is a  collaboration involving 32 experts from a wide
  variety of fields. Beyond the  big ideas, this means lots of delightful
  details. Here, for example, is  architect and designer Michael McDonough
  writing about his e-House in  upstate New York.

  > In e-House we collect rainwater to irrigate  our garden. We also ue it
  > to store energy from sunlight and earth, and  that energy isused to
  > heat or cool a hyper-energy-efficient house. If  you extend this
  > thinking to other building systems, you can engineer a  geothermal
  > field for maximum efficiency by backfilling it with clean,
  > well-drained, fertile soil, and get both a heating and cooling source
  > for your home and a productive organic garden.  The more people  start
  > doing this community-wide, the more open space and forest can be
  > conserved. This, of course, is an alternaive to suburban sprawl. If
  > government encourages this tendency through tax policy, you get large
  > organic districts with hyper-energy-efficient homes...Imagine that new
  > home-building in this vast area [the 1,900 square mile New York City
  > watershed] was encouraged to have organic microagricultural uses. New
  > York City and its surrounding areas would be tethered to each
  >  other--clean, pure water from organic watersheds and urban markets for
  >  local organic produce.

  The really good news is that when McDonough built  his e-House, he was
  able to find everything he needed on the Internet and  have it delivered
  directly to the site.

  Also, as someone whose father  planted the bamboo that half-surrounds
  the lot of the house in which I grew  up, I especially love this
  comment,

  > I like bamboo a lot. The  more you use it, the better things get. It's
  > deeply versed in cultures  all over the world, it's stronger than steel
  > in tension, it's stronger  than concrete in compression, and it's more
  > stable than red oak, which  is a very stable flooring. When you plant
  > it, it acts as a bioabsorber,  cleaning pollutants out of the soil; it
  > simultaneously stabilizes the  soil and prevents erosion. While it's
  > doing all of these good things,  it returns more oxygen to the air
  > through photosynthesis than any other  deciduous plant.

  Utopian vision, sound engineering, respect for nature,  too. Why rant
  when we can build?

  John L. McCreery
  The Word  Works, Ltd.
  55-13-202 Miyagaya, Nishi-ku