[lit-ideas] Re: Massive Change

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 23:32:44 EDT

Danka.  I must give my daughter your e-mail address.  You'd have  great fun
together.  I'm not sure about the influence aspect, though....  hmmmm......

Julie Krueger
========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Massive Change
Date: 4/16/05 10:28:42 P.M. Central Daylight Time  From:
_erin.holder@xxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:erin.holder@xxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Lois Lowry.
Date: 3/27/05 10:54:04 P.M. Central Standard  Time  From: _mccreery@xxxxxxxx
(mailto:mccreery@xxxxxxx)   To: _ANTHRO-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:ANTHRO-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) ,   _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The latest update to my ongoing series on   bestoftheblogs.com.

===========

_Massive Change_ is  a  collaboration involving 32 experts from a wide
variety of  fields. Beyond the  big ideas, this means lots of delightful
details. Here, for example, is  architect and designer Michael McDonough
writing about his e-House in  upstate New York.

> In e-House we collect rainwater to irrigate  our  garden. We also ue it
> to store energy from sunlight and earth,  and  that energy isused to
> heat or cool a  hyper-energy-efficient house. If  you extend this
> thinking  to other building systems, you can engineer a  geothermal
>  field for maximum efficiency by backfilling it with clean,
>  well-drained, fertile soil, and get both a heating and cooling source
> for your home and a productive organic garden.  The more  people  start
> doing this community-wide, the more open  space and forest can be
> conserved. This, of course, is an  alternaive to suburban sprawl. If
> government encourages  this tendency through tax policy, you get large
> organic  districts with hyper-energy-efficient homes...Imagine that new
> home-building in this vast area [the 1,900 square mile New York City
> watershed] was encouraged to have organic microagricultural  uses. New
> York City and its surrounding areas would be  tethered to each
>  other--clean, pure water from organic  watersheds and urban markets for
>  local organic  produce.

The really good news is that when McDonough built   his e-House, he was
able to find everything he needed on the Internet  and  have it delivered
directly to the site.

Also,  as someone whose father  planted the bamboo that half-surrounds
the lot of the house in which I grew  up, I especially love this
comment,

> I like bamboo a lot. The  more you use it, the  better things get. It's
> deeply versed in cultures  all over  the world, it's stronger than steel
> in tension, it's  stronger  than concrete in compression, and it's more
>  stable than red oak, which  is a very stable flooring. When you plant
> it, it acts as a bioabsorber,  cleaning pollutants out of  the soil; it
> simultaneously stabilizes the  soil and  prevents erosion. While it's
> doing all of these good  things,  it returns more oxygen to the air
> through  photosynthesis than any other  deciduous plant.

Utopian  vision, sound engineering, respect for nature,  too. Why rant
when we can build?

John L. McCreery
The Word   Works, Ltd.
55-13-202 Miyagaya, Nishi-ku
Yokohama,  Japan  220-0006

Tel 81-45-314-9324
Email   John.McCreery@xxxxxxxxxxxx

"Making Symbols is Our   Business"

To  change your Lit-Ideas settings (subscribe/unsub, vacation  on/off,
digest  on/off), visit  www.andreas.com/faq-lit-ideas.html

digest on/off), visit  www.andreas.com/faq-lit-ideas.html