[lit-ideas] Re: Massive Change

  • From: "Erin Holder" <erin.holder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 23:45:06 -0400

She'd probably also like The Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula Le Guin.  Maybe,
maybe not.  There's 4 of those.  I loved those when I was a kid too.
  Date: 4/16/05 10:29:04 P.M. Central Daylight Time  From:
  _erin.holder@xxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:erin.holder@xxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  I loved that book when I was a kid
  Date: 3/27/05  10:54:04 P.M. Central Standard Time  From: _mccreery@xxxxxxxx
  (mailto:mccreery@xxxxxxx)   To: _ANTHRO-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  (mailto:ANTHRO-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) ,   _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  The latest update to my ongoing series on   bestoftheblogs.com.

  ===========

  _Massive Change_ is  a  collaboration involving 32 experts from a wide
  variety of  fields. Beyond the  big ideas, this means lots of delightful
  details. Here, for example, is  architect and designer Michael McDonough
  writing about his e-House in  upstate New York.

  > In e-House we collect rainwater to irrigate  our  garden. We also ue it
  > to store energy from sunlight and earth,  and  that energy isused to
  > heat or cool a  hyper-energy-efficient house. If  you extend this
  > thinking  to other building systems, you can engineer a  geothermal
  >  field for maximum efficiency by backfilling it with clean,
  >  well-drained, fertile soil, and get both a heating and cooling source
  > for your home and a productive organic garden.  The more  people  start
  > doing this community-wide, the more open  space and forest can be
  > conserved. This, of course, is an  alternaive to suburban sprawl. If
  > government encourages  this tendency through tax policy, you get large
  > organic  districts with hyper-energy-efficient homes...Imagine that new
  > home-building in this vast area [the 1,900 square mile New York City
  > watershed] was encouraged to have organic microagricultural  uses. New
  > York City and its surrounding areas would be  tethered to each
  >  other--clean, pure water from organic  watersheds and urban markets for
  >  local organic  produce.

  The really good news is that when McDonough built   his e-House, he was
  able to find everything he needed on the Internet  and  have it delivered
  directly to the site.

  Also,  as someone whose father  planted the bamboo that half-surrounds
  the lot of the house in which I grew  up, I especially love this
  comment,

  > I like bamboo a lot. The  more you use it, the  better things get. It's
  > deeply versed in cultures  all over  the world, it's stronger than steel
  > in tension, it's  stronger  than concrete in compression, and it's more
  >  stable than red oak, which  is a very stable flooring. When you plant
  > it, it acts as a bioabsorber,  cleaning pollutants out of  the soil; it
  > simultaneously stabilizes the  soil and  prevents erosion. While it's
  > doing all of these good  things,  it returns more oxygen to the air
  > through  photosynthesis than any other  deciduous plant.

  Utopian  vision, sound engineering, respect for nature,  too. Why rant
  when we can build?

  John L. McCreery
  The Word   Works, Ltd.
  55-13-202 Miyagaya, Nishi-ku
  Yokohama,  Japan  220-0006

  Tel 81-45-314-9324
  Email   John.McCreery@xxxxxxxxxxxx

  "Making Symbols is Our   Business"

  To  change your Lit-Ideas settings (subscribe/unsub, vacation  on/off,
  digest  on/off), visit  www.andreas.com/faq-lit-ideas.html

  digest on/off), visit  www.andreas.com/faq-lit-ideas.html