[lit-ideas] Re: Marx and Freud's validity only as 'limiting case' Darwinism

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 21:44:42 -0500

US:
>>Hence the book's insistence that schooling is never a neutral process and
>>that it always has a dynamic political purpose. And hence, too, one of the
>>few truly pedagogical points in the book: its opposition to taxing students
>>with any actual academic content, which Freire derides as "official
>>knowledge" that serves to rationalize inequality within capitalist society.<<

Interesting.  But how does one escape it?  To be in opposition to the political
purpose of education is itself a political purpose, perhaps unarticulated, but
still, even if one chooses to teach nothing, that in and of itself is
curricular.  I was very confused when I was teaching high school -- well, after
I was over draft-age, that is, which was the only reason I had taken up
teaching -- suddenly I had to find some other reason to teach.  I liked the
kids, liked them very much, always did, but I hated the system -- always did,
through 22 years of it (5 teaching).  I thought, at the time, that the
educational system was detrimental to the human spirit (whatever that means --
hey, I was only 28 at the time, give me some slack.)  My attitude towards
producing art is the same.  It's almost exclusively a service to the rich.  Not
being rich, I hate the rich.  They are my enemy.  And yet, I would kiss their
collective ass if they would make me their darling artist.  How disgusting.
It's enough to make one want to kill everybody.  :  )  Just hyperbolizing,
folks (or so you hope).   I would say that EVERYTHING serves some political
purpose even if you personally have no conscious political agenda,
nevertheless, everything you do advances some political agenda.  Hopefully our
lives are so incoherent that no one political agenda prospers by what we do,
say, think, write, etc.   Amen.

Mike Geary
Mr. Geary to you
in Memphis