[lit-ideas] Re: Marx and Freud's validity only as 'limiting case' Darwinism

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2009 17:36:14 -0400

Not to worry, Eric. No one in teacher's college actually reads the required texts.

A quotation from the article:
Freire spent some time in jail and was then exiled to Chile, where---inspired by his work with the Brazilian peasants---he worked on /Pedagogy of the Oppressed/. Hence the book's insistence that schooling is never a neutral process and that it always has a dynamic political purpose. And hence, too, one of the few truly pedagogical points in the book: its opposition to taxing students with any actual academic content, which Freire derides as "official knowledge" that serves to rationalize inequality within capitalist society.

A quotation from President Wilson (then president of Princeton U...I think).:

"We want one class of persons to have a liberal education, and we want another class of persons, a very much larger class of necessity in every society, to forgo the privilege of a liberal education and fit themselves to perform specific difficult manual tasks." --- Woodrow Wilson <http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/176386.Woodrow_Wilson>

Note:   I haven't been following this thread....just butting in...sorry...
Ursula

Eric Yost wrote:

Here's an example of Marxist "footing" placing said footing up one's backside. -EY

Pedagogy of the Oppressor
Another reason why U.S. ed schools are so awful: the ongoing influence of Brazilian Marxist Paulo Freire

http://city-journal.org/2009/19_2_freirian-pedagogy.html