[lit-ideas] Re: LUMBERJACKS IN BLACK DRESSES

  • From: John Wager <johnwager@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 11:29:23 -0600

You should (re?)-read Beyond God the Father by Mary Daly. It's still a hoot, after more than 30 years. She says that the Catholic Church took FEMININE roles and turned them into sacraments: birth (baptism), feeding (communion), comforting (confession), caring for the sick (extreme unction), strengthening (confirmation). Then, she said, just to make sure that women "got it" that they were inadequate at performing these roles, and that a man had to take over and do them the "right (spiritual) way, when men do all these feminine things they dress in ermine furs, rich brocades, long gloves, and long gowns!

I think I might just have been able to handle the "chastity" think as a priest, but I'm not sure I could have taken the dresses.

So who's left wanting to be a priest now? Straight guys who like feminine roles and who like to dress like women. I'm not sure this is a large enough pool of potential priests to keep the whole thing going.

(I genuinely hope that something does change; I'm really not anti-Catholic as much as I'm anti-stupid.)

Mike Geary wrote:

I'm pleased to see that Pope Benedict has finally outlawed gays from the priesthood. Hello?! 2000 years ago the church made women anathema, I can't imagine what took them so long to get around to outlawing girlie men. There is, of course, the prickly little question of where the hell they're going to get their priests from now. But not to worry, there's always that large pool of castrated lumberjacks looking for something to do.
Mike Geary
a lumberjack's lumberjack
Memphis

"Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence and ignorance." -------------------------------------------------