[lit-ideas] Knowing slipping into something else

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 11:54:59 -0800

Lawrence Helm wrote:

"So now that you've exposed and humiliated me as not being a David Bowie
listener ..."

Speaking for myself, I had no intention of humiliating Lawrence.  I was
merely adding to the poem's context.  Lawrence, you see too much of the
world in terms of being either right or wrong.  There certainly are
situations where there is either a right or wrong answer, but to quote the
Philosopher, "It is the mark of an educated man to seek as much

precision in things of a given genus as their nature allows."

Sincerely,

Phil Enns

Toronto, ON

I was partially exasperated because I never heard David Bowie's music but
also because I couldn't make this new information fit my theory of David
Ritchie's poem.  I would like to see someone else analyze that poem.  My
"exposed and humiliated" was not seriously meant.

As an example of how I never see in black and white, here is a poem I wrote
this morning as a sort of . . .

                                    Knowing slipping into something else

She turned back and the wind

Caught her scarf and whipped

It about her shoulders

And the solemnity of her eyes

Seeing me as leaving her,

As she looked that one last time,

The end of all things said.

And although I thought I knew

(The incipient burgeoning speaks

As though he knows) it is never

Reasonable to suppose one is able

To propose the thing later bound

And sealed and flung upon the stairs

Which when opened will reveal

What one never really knew -

Her lovely eyes closed

As she turned and stood,

Giving me one last chance

To rush to her side and turn

Her with my hands and voice

Into the beauty I knew was slipping away.