[lit-ideas] Re: Justice Scalia on privacy

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 10:10:24 EDT

In a message dated 5/2/2009 6:05:39 P.M. Eastern  Daylight Time,
rpaul@xxxxxxxx  writes:
http://tinyurl.com/crbzjg

----

Interesting, but it  doesn't mean I subscribe to, Scalia's views on
something being 'perfectly legal'  but 'abominable' in judgement, and his going
on
to criticise the professor's  'poor judgement'.

I once had a similar project. We had to retrieve all  private information
about Alcebiades (we were discussing "The Symposium"). I for  one, did not
know he died his hair.

Scandals in  philosophy:

Logician Montague was killed by a sailor.
A few  philosophers committed suicide (and then they died).
Actually this Althusser  first killed his wife (so he was a paulo-future
killer) and then killed  hisself.
Socrates was hisself charged with having 'corrupted' the young. But
philosophers had been very careful since. Nobody else has!
Wittgenstein  attacked Russell with a pike.
Russell was a multigamist.
Wittgenstein was  diagnosed with some sort of mental disorder, in Finnland.
Diogenes had swine  flu (for not washing his left hand after doing it).
Mary Daly conducted a  seminar for 'girls-only', and this was found illegal.
Aristotle charged his  students a fee in drachma.
Strawson sent "Meaning" to the Philosophical  Review signing "H. P. Grice".
etc.

Writers are even more scandalous.  Notably Lamb's sister. She killed her
own mother.

J. L.  Speranza
Buenos Aires,  Argentina

"It is just  horrendous the little respect the young have for dyed hair"
(_The importance_)

**************Remember Mom this Mother's Day! Find a florist near you now.
(http://yellowpages.aol.com/search?query=florist&ncid=emlcntusyelp00000006)