[lit-ideas] Re: Just War

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 20:38:34 -0700

Well, Phil, I don't see in what you quote where the US Catholic Bishops say
that Just wars are evil.  Elshtain writes along similar lines to your
Bishops; although she doesn't invoke St. Francis if I recall correctly.
That is, she places restrictions on how wars should be fought that are more
elaborate than what you've quoted but not inconsistent with them, except for
the portions about St. Francis, but that isn't the issue here.  The issue is
whether a just war is evil.   Francis Cardinal George, O.M.L., Archbishop of
Chicago wrote, "Jean Bethke Elshtain shows clearly and persuasively how
'just war' teaching meets both the imperative of peace and the
responsibility a government has to defend its people . . . . Just War
Against Terror challenges Christian theologians and preachers to apply
theological discernment more rigorously and realistically when they reflect
on terrorism, and at the same time faults the academy's reaction to
counter-terrorism as evasive and simplistic.  Speaking vividly and directly
to the moral decisions America is making, Elshtain provides a service to us
all."

On page 189 Elshtain writes, "The primary moral justification for war is to
protect the innocent from certain harm.  Augustine, whose early 5th century
book, The City of God, is a seminal contribution to just war thinking,
argues (echoing Socrates) that it is better for the Christian as an
individual to suffer harm rather than to commit it.  But is the morally
responsible person also required, or even permitted, to make for other
innocent persons a commitment to non-self-defense?  For Augustine, and for
the broader just war tradition, the answer is no.  If one has compelling
evidence that innocent people who are in no position to protect themselves
will be grievously harmed unless coercive force I used to stop an aggressor,
then the moral principle of love of neighbor calls us to use of force."

Elshtain here refers to a "broader just war tradition" so she obviously
feels she isn't flouting it, and yet she presents arguments I find
compelling and I suppose you do as well but I suspect you would refrain from
using the words "moral principle" in her last clause.  Because if there is
such a moral principle; then it wouldn't be evil to function in accordance
with it.

Lawrence