[lit-ideas] Re: Just War

  • From: Jack Spratt <dosflounder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 09:22:24 -0700 (PDT)

Alexander showed the way a modern man should behave. He was, after all, the
first Metrosexual. He preferred to wear the local dress to his shiny armor,
encouraged his troops to marry local women in the Middle East (he set an
example here) enjoyed sampling the local wine, liked to party with his mates
and was not fussy about who he had sex with. Conquest seemed to be a way to
achieve these pleasantries, war does have its lighter side.

  Andy needs a timeline. Alexander would have been over 300 years old when Cleo
was in her prime. But she did like older men.

  J.S.

  The one thing we lack is a handy utopia.

Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
  At 02:47 PM 9/8/2006, you wrote:
>All right, I've had just about enough of this love for Alexander "the
>Great" from Yost and Hart and Bruce. Hart is right, of course, Mohammed
>Ali was the Greatest, everyone knows that. But, of course, I wasn't
>talking about THE greatest, just the greater. And I contend that Mohandas
>was greater than Alexander who, after all, was just another drunk who
>killed his best friend. So he won a few battles -- and HE didn't win
>them, his soldiers did -- so what? What did they win, after all, but the
>chance to fight again. Oh great, just what they always wanted.

I'm reminded of Carlin's "Muhammad Ali" who went to Jail because: "I'll
beat em up, but I don't wanna kill em"

He WAS the greatest.

Paul Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx