[lit-ideas] Re: Just War

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 14:55:49 -0400

At 02:47 PM 9/8/2006, you wrote:

All right, I've had just about enough of this love for Alexander "the Great" from Yost and Hart and Bruce. Hart is right, of course, Mohammed Ali was the Greatest, everyone knows that. But, of course, I wasn't talking about THE greatest, just the greater. And I contend that Mohandas was greater than Alexander who, after all, was just another drunk who killed his best friend. So he won a few battles -- and HE didn't win them, his soldiers did -- so what? What did they win, after all, but the chance to fight again. Oh great, just what they always wanted.

I'm reminded of Carlin's "Muhammad Ali" who went to Jail because: "I'll beat em up, but I don't wanna kill em"

He WAS the greatest.

Paul Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx
Kingsville, ON, Canada