[lit-ideas] Re: It's Botox for you, dear bridesmaids - International Herald Tribune

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 10:50:14 -0700

On Aug 4, 2008, at 8:30 PM, David Wright wrote:

In the midst of these questions, I visited a couple of mates: one, a dreadlocked nigga, and the other, literally three minutes walk away, whose neighbour still has a porch-monkey fishin' off the back stoop.

mournfully, learning from the response,

Here is an antidote, some good cheer. Pop by our zoo tomorrow night and listen to Oliver Mtukudzi. Or listen to him here: http:// olivermtukudzi.calabashmusic.com/

This man has recorded forty seven albums while his country has gone to the dogs, courtesy of Mr. Robert Gabriel Mugabe.

We in the First World have produced meanwhile, "excellence clusters" which work "within the framework of a junior research group," to maintain "a focus on information flows." I quote from a source that should keep a bag over its head,

"the Cluster of Excellence 'Asia and Europe in a Global Context: Shifting Asymmetries in
Cultural Flows' at the University of [X] offers 2 PhD scholarships
within the framework of the Junior Research Group 'Asymmetries in Cultural Information Flows: Europe and South Asia in the Global Information Network since the Nineteenth Century'. The research group maintains a focus on information flows..."

David Ritchie,
Grumpy White's Writing Academy,
Portland, Oregon