[lit-ideas] Re: It's Botox for you, dear bridesmaids - International Herald Tribune

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 17:38:36 -0700

On Aug 1, 2008, at 1:21 PM, Ursula Stange wrote:

This came up in the kitchen about fifteen minutes ago and we decided not even to talk about it. It's so far beyond normal life, it seems there's little or nothing to be learned from it.

I finished writing, picked up the phone to cancel an appointment. The person on the other end said, "Have you heard about our friend X? Went for gallbladder surgery a month ago, seemed to be well, called his wife yesterday to say that he was going into the hospital because he wasn't feeling right. He's a doctor, she's a dentist; both being stoics, they know that when he says he's not feeling right, he means he's *really* not feeling right. At the hospital he goes into shock from a massive bacterial infection, dies before midnight."

Jim Henson all over again.

I agree with you. I don't think we learn from those experiences which are at the far end of the weirdness spectrum--the murder in Alberta--or this one, which is slightly further along towards normal. They just are.

I might need to order a hand-painted copy of Francis Bacon's screaming pope...

http://www.oceansbridge.com/oil-paintings/product/5518/thescreamingpope

had I not passed the day painting.

David Ritchie,
smelling nicely of oils in