[lit-ideas] Re: Iraq, anybody?

  • From: Michael Chase <goya@xxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 20:05:53 +0100
Le 6 mars 05, =E0 21:58, Andreas Ramos a =E9crit :

>> It was on CNN yesterday at some point....  I read several piece.  =20
>> What I
>> can't figure out is how in the world the Italian special agents and=20=

>> U.S.
>> Military forces did not coordinate getting her out of the country. =20=

>> Such a  lack of
>> communication is unbelievable.

M.C. Yes, it is, especially when we learn that an American colonel was=20=

waiting at the airport for Sgrena's convoy to arrive.

        In general, the official American version is a wee bit hard to=20=

swallow. Are we really supposed to believe that the chief Italian=20
secret agent in Iraq was unaware that you're not supposed to drive at=20
top speed towards an Amercian checkpoint and ignore requests to stop?

> <nip>
>
> Although many believe the US was trying to assassinate the journalist,=20=

> I don't agree; if so,
> they would have killed all the occupants of the car. It seems just=20
> another example of the
> standard "rules of engagement": put a bunch of terrified soldiers into=20=

> a very hostile
> situation and they will shoot whatever moves. Over and over again,=20
> Iraqi families are killed
> this way. In this case, we know about it because it was a European who=20=

> was killed. But we
> don't hear about the daily murders by the US soldiers.
>
>> =46rom the US government reaction, one can conclude they are ignoring=20=

>> the story, hoping it
> will go away. There will be no investigation. Nobody will be punished.=20=

> The American media is
> bleating like sheep and going along with the US military's story, even=20=

> tho' they know
> better.

M.C. Either that or, when they discover the story's not going to go=20
away, they'll hang a couple of buck-privates out to dry, and that'll be=20=

an end of't.

Michael Chase
(goya@xxxxxxxxxxx)
CNRS UPR 76