[lit-ideas] Re: I will but I shan't

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 11:48:53 -0700 (PDT)

The distinction between reason and cause was certainly not something invented
by Davidson. Schopenhauer in his essay The Fourfold Root of the Principle of
Sufficient Reason certainly makes a distinction between ' a reason as the
ground of a conclusion', and 'a cause of the occurrence of a real event.' Both
are thought to be forms of the more general Principle of Sufficient Reason (of
which there are four,) but they are to be kept firmly separate in their
distinct realms of application, the first being the realm of abstract reasoning
(especially of logic) and the second being the realm of the empirical world.
The other two forms of the Principle have their respective applications in
mathematics and in psychology (motive as the reason or ground of acting). I am
not sure whether playing with the slightly different senses of 'should' can
illuminate this much further.

O.K.

On Tuesday, March 18, 2014 6:04 PM, "jlsperanza@xxxxxxx" <jlsperanza@xxxxxxx>
wrote: