[lit-ideas] Re: I will but I shan't

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 15:54:40 -0700

JL wrote

And he (Popper?) was polite enough, since McEvoy was making the same point
about R.
Paul not understanding stuff (but understanding Benjamin's Mondernism).

*I'm not sure why Donal was worried about my understanding or not
understanding anything. I hope it's clear that I didn't the notorious
passage I snipped out of a book review. I believe I said I thought it was
incomprehensible, even though my cousin from Harvard found it crystal
clear. If I didn't say it was incomprehensible, let me say it now and be
done with it.

*There was some comparison between my finding it incomprehensible or
comprehensible and my calling certain posts in a list about the causal
theory of perception incomprehensible, when in fact they were 'clearer'
than the notorious passage. Something like that. I think that the
inconsistency of my views is a pretty boring subject. A person could make a
living by pointing them out.

*Oh--any case, I don't 'understand' Benjamin's 'Modernism.'

Robert Paul

'So I contradict myself? Very well, I contradict myself.'--attributed to
Descartes.