[lit-ideas] Re: I shall say this only once (allo allo)

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 13:47:18 EST

I remember Spam from my childhood -- Mom used to stick cloves all over into
it, smother it with brown sugar and mustard, to make it edible.  She
alternatively skewered pieces of Spam & pineapple and baked them.

Rabbit I've never eaten -- when I was 5 I received, as a Christmas present
from my parents, a beautiful, exceedingly soft, white, hat, gloves, and  muff.
I adored them.  Until I learned that they were rabbit  fur.  I threw them
away instantly.

Condensed milk was a necessary staple.

Condensed SWEETENED milk .....now there was heaven....

Julie Krueger
remembering not eating exactly nutritiously.

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: I shall say this
only once (allo allo)  Date: 3/9/2007 11:44:05 A.M. Central Standard Time
From: _judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   Sent on:
> The horror.  Spam.  Did you know  that Spam is still a
significant part
> of the Hawaiian diet?  By  choice!

I didn't know that.  Nor did I know till I looked up  food
rationing just
now (puzzled because I remember its ending but the  date didn't
make sense)
that we owe spam to the Yanks.... Condensed milk  may be
home-grown.

I was protected from food rationing between 1948  and 1953 because
we lived in the depths of West Wales and so could eat  poached
rabbit
and home-grown vegetables and farm eggs, but "luncheon  meat"
loomed fairly large slightly later on.

> Maybe if we got hold  of some RAF uniforms we'd be allowed
chocolate

good point.  (The  RAF got chocolate?  I didn't know.)

Judy Evans, Cardiff