[lit-ideas] Re: I shall say this only once (allo allo)

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 12:32:37 -0800

On Mar 11, 2007, at 10:23 AM, Judith Evans wrote:

I just read your post a second time ....  you say "condensed
milk".  Maybe
that's not what we refer to as "evaporated milk", but instead
what is called
here "sweetened condensed milk" --

Correct.

We had condensed milk and evaporated milk.  I don't know whether
my
mother used it in cooking (I remember it as a 50s/60s thing, so
I'm a bit
vague about it), we had it on, say, tinned fruit.  We also had
tinned cream,
which is horrible.

And, unlike the case with other memories, time only makes it worse. Tinned fruit with milky substance. I bet that's what they serve for the first hundred years of purgatory.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon