[lit-ideas] Re: Help with Novalis?

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 23:25:25 EDT

<<Wer sie verfolgt und  vergleicht, wird wunderliche Figuren entstehen sehen;
Figuren, die zu jener  großen Chiffernschrift zu gehören scheinen, die man
überall, auf  Flügeln,
Eierschalen, in Wolken, im Schnee, in Krystallen und in  Steinbildungen, auf
gefrierenden Wassern, im Innern und Äußern der Gebirge,  der Pflanzen, der
Thiere, der Menschen, in den Lichtern des Himmels, auf  berührten und
gestrichenen Scheiben von Pech und Glas, in den Feilspänen um  den Magnet
her, und sonderbaren Conjunkturen des Zufalls,  erblickt.>>
Back to our comprehension and  analysis thing, after a day of dealing with a
child with viral pneumonia  and another unable to keep 7-up down, just viewing
the above words which came as  a surprise in my in-box on an allegedly
English list, not knowing a syllable of  German, just looking at this series of
syllables and pronouncing the to  myself (ok I took one semester of German when
dinosaurs were still  alive) was soothing.  So see?  And when I read the
English
I was  disappointed.  It did, however, remind me to go back to Rilke and
Célan.  I adore Célan's wordsmything.

Julie Krueger
========Original Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Help with Novalis?
 Date: 10/20/04 9:54:08 PM Central Daylight Time  From:
_Henninge@xxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:Henninge@xxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Michael Chase writes from Paris seeking help  with Novalis:

> Just sitting around on a stormy evening in Gai  Paris, I something got
> to translating Novalis' Die Lehrlinge zu Sais  (hey, I don't have a TV,
>
> so I have to amuse myself somehow,  OK?). Anyhow, there's a couple of
> lines I'm not sure of, and I wonder if  I could submit them to the
> steely, critical gaze of the  List.
>
> The original goes like this:

Mannichfache Wege  gehen die Menschen.

Wer sie verfolgt und vergleicht, wird wunderliche  Figuren entstehen sehen;
Figuren, die zu jener großen Chiffernschrift zu  gehören scheinen, die man
überall, auf Flügeln,
Eierschalen, in Wolken, im  Schnee, in Krystallen und in Steinbildungen, auf
gefrierenden Wassern, im  Innern und Äußern der Gebirge, der Pflanzen, der
Thiere, der Menschen, in den  Lichtern des Himmels, auf berührten und
gestrichenen Scheiben von Pech und  Glas, in den Feilspänen um den Magnet
her, und sonderbaren Conjunkturen des  Zufalls, erblickt.

In ihnen ahndet man den Schlüssel dieser  Wunderschrift, die Sprachlehre
derselben; allein die Ahndung will sich selbst  in keine feste Formen fügen,
und scheint kein höherer Schlüssel werden zu  wollen.

> Which I've tentatively rendered  as:

Diverse are the paths of men.

Who follows and compares  them, witnesses the birth of wondrous figures,
which seem to belong to that  great coded writing we find everywhere: on
wings and eggshells; in clouds,  snow, crystals and rock-formations; in
freezing waters; in the internal and  external forms of mountains, plants,
animals, human beings; in  the
celestial luminaries; in buffed or polished disks of resin or glass;  in
filings round a magnet, and in the strange circumstances of  chance.

In all this, we sense the key of that wondrous script and its  grammar, but
this premonition refuses to fix itself in definite forms, and  seems not to
want to become the key to anything higher.

> It's  especially the last phrase I'm unsure about. Literally it seems
> to mean  " and seems to want to become no higher key, but I've
> interpreted a wee  bit.
>
> Go for it, critics.
>
> TIA,  Mike

Tja, Mike, I think some problems arise with the three words, "in  all this,"
in the last--unsure--sentence. By translating "in ihnen" as "in  all this," I
believe you think you're referring to all those wonderful signs  in nature,
but I believe "in them" refers all the way back to the "diverse  ways of
men." I would guess that one of the "wondrous figures" is human  language,
including all the cultural achievements describable in that  language. The
trick of the tragedy expressed in these first lines of _Die  Lehrlinge zu
Sais_ is that all of the human knowledge, all of the experiences  of men,
"going" their "multiple ways," when "traced" in language,  nevertheless
resists explaining the higher language of nature, resists  becoming the "key"
to that higher code. In other words, the language of man  is not
automatically applicable to nature. There is a disconnect. The  premonition,
the sense that the one mirrors the other or provides some  natural key to it,
remains (leider, leider) an amorphous feeling that resists  codification--ask
any poet, any scientist.

Richard  Henninge
University of  Mainz