[lit-ideas] Re: Heil Heidegger?

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 09:14:38 -0800

What this article stirs up in me is wonderment that anyone can assert that
Heidegger's philosophy supports Fascism, or that it grew out of Fascism, or
his philosophy grew out of his belief in Fascism.  I would like to learn
Faye's arguments for that, but if Romano's response is any indication, Faye
didn't develop such an argument, Faye was more interested in character
assassination.

If someone were to argue that Thomas Carlyle's philosophy gave rise to
Fascism, I could immediately see the relationship.  That is, I could relate
Carlyle's Heroes and Hero Worship to Fascism.  I'm not saying that there is
such a connection.  There was probably too great a lapse in time for any of
the 20th century Fascism to have been influenced by Carlyle, but I can
accept that Carlyle's work is consistent with Fascism.

But now turn to Heidegger.  In what way is any of Heidegger's work
consistent with Fascism?  Yes, he was a member of the Nazi party.  Yes he
supported the Nazi ideal for a time.  I read Hugo Ott's book and Heidegger
does not come off well in Ott's estimation, but Ott relates what Heidegger
did to Nazi ideology, not what he wrote - not Heidegger's work.   I would
like to see someone relate Heidegger's reflective and existential philosophy
to the triumphalism of Fascism.  I can't see it.

I have been interested in Gadamer who studied under Heidegger and who had
great respect for his teaching.  I, frankly, have never thought a study of
Heidegger was worth the candle, but I enjoy studying Gadamer and Gadamer
enjoyed Heidegger - and I credit that above Romano's (and presumably Faye's)
hatchet job.

Also, as I take McEvoy to be suggesting, if we cast Heidegger into outer
darkness because of a temporary attraction to Fascism; what must we do to
all the philosophers who were attracted to the equivalent evil, Communism?
And if someone wants to argue that Communism was less of an evil than
Fascism, I would be interested in that argument as well.

Lawrence