[lit-ideas] Re: Heil Heidegger?

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 16:10:33 -0330

Quoting Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

snip

> According to on-line Stanford Encyc. of Phil. entry on Jaspers/
> http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/jaspers/:-
> "...both neo-Kantians and phenomenological philosophers subjected his work to
> trenchant criticism in the early stages of his philosophical trajectory, and
> members of both these camps, especially Rickert and Edmund Husserl, accused
> him of importing anthropological and experiential questions into philosophy
> and thus of contaminating philosophical analysis with contents properly
> pertaining to other disciplines."
>
> Shades, then, of Walter and Levi-Strauss.

A shade of Walter: While such importation would indeed contaminate the purity
of
philosophical analysis, I do not believe the accusation hy Husserl and Rickert
validly apply to Heidegger's work before approx. 1948. After that point in
time, we have H's "poetic turn" as I call it and he loses the rigour of
phenomenology that he learned from Husserl and others. Much of the early H's
work - i.e., Being and Time and Basic Problems in Phenomenology - was concerned
with the idea that our theoretical knowledge is grounded in the conditions of
practical agency, our "original" mode of being-in-the-world. This originality
was occluded, H argued, by Cartesian dualism and the inauguration of
epistemology as a philosophical discipline in the writings of Descartes. His
ontology of Dasein attempted to critique the dualism and work out the nature
and conditions of Dasein as a mode of practical comportment towards the world.
(At a very early age, one should add - late 20s, early 30s.) The purported
outlandishness of such a thesis for many neo-Kantians of the day - a response
hard to figure since even The Master himself claimed that theoretical reason is
grounded in practical reason - failed to recognize that H was still
doing phenomenological ontology (i.e., transcendental philosophy), even while
talking about hammers, nails and pure forms of air conditioning. That Husserl
eventually came to see that Being and Time was raising some important matters
is attested to by Husserl's composition of The Crisis.

I write this only as a public service to hermeneutic truth. I'm no longer much
interested in Heidegger - his philosophy or his personal allegiances and
dalliances.

Walter O
MUN

222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222