[lit-ideas] Re: things we know

  • From: cblists@xxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 16:00:57 +0100

On Thu, 29-Oct-09, Donal McEvoy wrote:

a synthesis of Hegelians, a utility of Pragmatists, a unity of Kantians, a nonsense of Logical Positivists, a form of Platonists, a lumpen of Marxists etc. The collective for this collective?

On 31-Oct-09, at 8:07 PM, Eric Yost wrote:

>>The collective for this collective?

a muddle of philosophers
a saga of novelists
a twist of short story writers
an exposition of essayists
a choir of poets
a reverie of memoirists
a pit of opera composers
a tangle of architects

If by 'this collective' we mean the subscribers to lit-ideas, I respectfully submit

an anthology of literary idealists

via French or medieval Latin from the Greek 'anthologia', from 'anthos': 'flower' + '-logia': 'collection' (from 'legein': 'gather' ); here employing the figurative use of 'flower' (i.e., to denote the finest individuals out of a number of people or things).

Chris Bruce,
smelling like a rose, in
Kiel, Germany