[lit-ideas] Re: Ground Zero (hey, Eric?)

  • From: carol kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 17:15:44 -0700

As do I (know what you're referring to). A native New Yorker here--born,
bred, left ages ago. When I first read about the Cordova Center, it was in
an architectural, not geographical context--not as a proposed edifice "at"
Ground Zero.

Perception is all. Conceptualized as a mosque "at" or "near" Ground
zero--any reference at all to GZ--makes the project highly objectionable,
like some sort of trophy to the victors of war. Clearly the US and the
West--not just New York--can't have that.

Wasn't that Palin's intent, however? Just revving up the anti-Moslem,
pro-warrior mentality, anti-liberal brigade. Things have been too quiet.

ck