[lit-ideas] Re: Ground Zero (hey, Eric?)

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 20:44:30 EDT

My last post today --

In a message dated 8/3/2010 9:17:57 P.M., carolkir@xxxxxxxxx writes:

like  some sort of trophy to the victors of war.

------

Egsactly, as one might say. The link given by J. K. mentioned:

>"a 13-story, $100 million Islamic center. Cordoba wants to transform  the
building into a glass tower with a swimming pool, basketball court,
auditorium and culinary school besides the mosque. The center, called Park51,
also
would have a library, art studios and meditation rooms."

(I have not checked the link provided by J. Evans).

---- Oddly, I was made aware of this at the Club (I mean, the Grice Club)
where one contributor wrote under my post, "refudiate: vomit?" -- I was
referring to an online source that was criticising Palin for not being 'clear
enough' when she said to 'refudiate' the plan (My current pet is that
introducing such a new lexeme can only confuse the not so literati: it sounds
too much like 'repudiate').

Anyway, this contributor put me to task, logically, for focusing on a
semantic issue, when it was (I will rephrase the contributor's posting)

it being a "political [or] ethical [issue]", rather.

By referring to the consensus, in my post to lit-ideas, I was in a way
adhering to a point made by this contributor, to the effect, that consesus, the
 contributor claimed, is "not how American business operates". So we'll see
what  comes up out of this. There is an appeal to be held tomorrow.

The contributor makes a point about _whose_ vote counts, and the
contributor suggests, "local citizens" "within a few miles" of the proposed
'sacred'
building -- adding that's possibly "not how the free market  works".

The contributor also makes the point that sacred buildings, it seems, bear
"tax-exempt status."

The contributor notes that Palin sounds "likes she's trying  to accommodate
NY muslims."

The contributor also makes the good point that "some might feel the
mosque's inappropriate", without implying they are conservatives.

----- I'll check with J. Evans's what blocks this is supposed to cover --.
I see the major celebrated, as it were, that the building which now stands
does  not qualify as a 'landmark' -- but that is what is going to be
appealed  tomorrow, it seems. In any case, the issue seems minor here, in that
even
 if it were given landmark status, the proposed centre would be built -- a
smaller one, within the existing structure.

Etc.

Refudiate? Quite 'pls refudiate'. A point against Palin seems to be: if she
 was coining a clever Dodgsonianism, why did she delete the original
message  anyway? (I trust it was to avoid breaching the Gricean maxim, 'avoid
confusion',  or something --).

Speranza
The Swimming-Pool Library
Bordighera