[lit-ideas] Re: Grice on Nihilism

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 08:58:17 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 4/19/2013 10:38:09  A.M. UTC-02, omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx
writes:
I wonder who Grice is? Never heard  of the guy.

Well, when it comes to philosophy, one has to be careful.

There are indeed two Grices:

Herbert Paul Grice

and then there's

Russell Grice, another philosopher, who taught at UC/East Anglia.

In his very interesting book The Grounds of Moral Judgement (to which

Vide per example:

_www.tandfonline.com/.../00048406_
(http://www.tandfonline.com/.../00048406) ...  - Traduci questa paginaCondividi

di RE Ewin - 1969
"GRICE AND THE CONTRACT GROUND"

In his very interesting book The Grounds of Moral Judgement (to which all
page numbers in this paper refer), Dr. G. R. ...

But this may require another heading.

I knew a guy who, unless otherwise indicated, by Grice he meant Russell
Grice. Indeed, it may be argued that Ewin's essay, "Grice and the contract
ground" is ambiguous (as McEvoy would perhaps say, using 'ambiguity'
ambiguously) between a 'sense' of Herbert Paul Grice and a 'sense' of Geoffrey
Russell Grice.

Oddly, parents should be the least qualify to name a child.

Grice's parents named him Herbert Paul Grice, yet he would seldom use
"Herbert" and skip it altogether and sign "Paul Grice" -- and be called by
friends "Paul".
Similarly, Grice's parents named him Geoffrey Russell Grice, yet he would
seldom use "Geoffrey" and skip it altogether and sign "Russell Grice" -- and
be  called by friends "Russell" (or "Russ").

"To skip a surname is a different thing altogether", as McEvoy would say.

---

Cheers,

Speranza