[lit-ideas] Re: Grice and Geach on "A Bit of English Grammar"

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2014 13:21:08 -0800 (PST)

To develop this a little - it is Orthodox Christmas Eve here, and I am bored -
'knowing how' seems a fairly clear case of knowledge that is not conditioned by
JTB criteria. With simple skills like riding a bike it may be that there is one
'correct' way of doing it, but even then it is not chiefly a matter of knowing
what one needs to do, but of being able to do it. With more complex skills like
tennis, there are various 'correct' ways of doing it, depending on what works
for the player. While players and trainers can and sometimes do debate these
matters, even then they usually point to utility criteria (what works) rather
than to truth criteria (what is the case). The relevant test for tennis skills
is practical play, and the relevant justification is provided by practical
results (or not, as JL would say). Thus, we are more or less left with
(practical) justification, and may dispense with truth and beliefs.

I'll leave open the question of whether the philosophical knowledge is more a
case of 'knowing how' or of 'knowing that.' If we agree with Socrates that: "I
know that I don't know (that) anything.", it might well be a case of 'knowing
how.'

O.K.

On Monday, January 6, 2014 9:02 PM, Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

W.O.: "Learning-how" and "teaching-how", on the other hand, would seem to
beepistemically conditioned in that there is a right and wrong way to chop wood,
right and wrong ways of making love, a right and wrong way perform a forehand
smash or return a backhand slice in table tennis where
all this "rightness" and "wrongness" is open to justification on various
technical, prudential, moral and strategic criteria.

On Monday, January 6, 2014 7:51 PM, Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

"I know to ski off the side" is sayable in Serbian, at least informally.  O.K.

On Monday, January 6, 2014 7:13 PM, Walter C. Okshevsky <wokshevs@xxxxxx> wrote:

A very interesting post from Jl, at least that part I think I understood. A few