[lit-ideas] Re: Grice Now

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 11:41:54 -0500 (EST)

We are considering a certain piece of prose:

In a message dated  1/19/2013 9:14:50 P.M. UTC-02, rpaul@xxxxxxxx writes:

"When I first read  [the writer's] comments, on the "Philosophy Now" list
[of best  philosophers] my eyes
passed over his expression of admiration and  esteem [this writer had] for
Hobbes [JUST] A FEW SECONDS AFTER   they'd passed over his expression of
admiration and esteem
for Locke."

More below.
Cheers,

Speranza

R. Paul seems to disagree that a time-index subscript smoothens things
here:

My favourite-1 philosopher is Locke -- and my favourite-2 philosopher is
Hobbes.

R. Paul comments on a universal quantifier used in the original
expressions, something like:

My favourite-1 philosopher ever is Locke -- and my favourite-2 philosopher
EVER is Locke.

taking into consideration McEvoy' view that 'alla Kripke' they could be
taken to be substitutionally non-equivalent (therefore resolving the only
apparent 'contradiction' (or 'incoherence', as discourse analysts write) of the
 piece. His reference to Kripke seems to stem from the original poster's
(Speranza) invoking Kripke's substitutional quantification for a similar
reason  ("Many readers will like [EVER]y result").

Back to

My favourite philosophers are Locke and Hobbes
----
Therefore, my favourite philosopher is Locke.

--- This relates to what Harnish calls "conjunction simplification" in his
"Implicature" essay:

I like peaches and cream
----- Therefore, I like peaches

Grice and Strawson wrote "In defense of a dogma"
---- Therefore, Grice wrote "In defense of a dogma"

Note that the inverse is "or" complexation:

as in

Locke is my favourite philosopher
----- Therefore, Locke is my favourite philosopher or Hobbes is my
favourite philosopher.

In "The Logic of "Favorite" I refer to some of my favourite things, and
played around. A few adjectives seem to behave like 'favourite'. Note that  a
title of an opera by Donizetti (his "Maria Stuarda" now playing at the
Metropolitan Opera in New York) is entitled:

"The Favourite"

(La favorita).

Complete name: "La favorita del re" -- the favourite of the king.

Unless we provide a logical form of the uniqueness clause involved in the
analysis of 'favourite' one could (but then again may not) argue alla Grice
that  the 'exhaustiveness' and uniqueness features are 'implicatural', i.e.
matters of  pragmatic rather than logical or semantic 'implication', and
thus cancellable  via disimplicature.

"My favourite philosopher is Locke -- but then of course my FAVOURITE
philosopher is Hobbes."

"Both Locke and Hobbes are favourite philosophers of mine -- but not
necessarily in that order".

"Locke is the best philosopher; and so is Hobbes".
B: I fail to follow your line of reasoning. How can 'best' be used so
liberally?

And so on.