[lit-ideas] Re: Grice Now

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 17:19:33 -0800

JL presents a list of philosophers from Philosophy Now's recent 'polls' and comments on their proximity to or distance from the Master.

For example

'John Locke--my favourite English philosopher ever--mostly influential in Oxford…'

'Thomas Hobbes--my favourite English philosopher EVER…'

One should, I think, pass over in silence this evidence that on some questions JL is of two minds. As it were.

Students of Constitutional history might add that Locke was somewhat influential in the the Colonies; or, rather, his ideas were. At Oxford, he was mostly admired for his ability to recite the Tractatus, in German, at a moment's notice.

Robert Paul,
a long way from Brasenose College