[lit-ideas] Re: Grade inflation

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 23:08:45 -0400

At 10:57 PM 4/12/04, you wrote:
>'If I were to grade a 'subjective' subject [i.e. non-scientific] 's group of
>assignments, I think I would still take a scientific approach. Sure, it
>would take a little longer, but instead of marking the papers as I went, I
>would make notes on each one and not mark a single one upon first reading.
>Then I would pick the best one and give it an appropriate grade and mark
>all the others according to what the best one got.'
>
>I'm not sure about the identification of 'non-scientific' with
>'subjective.' But
>for the rest, well, this sounds like one sensible way of going at it. (You're
>not required to mark in indelible ink, either.)
Although, I once got a paper back with an "A" scratched out and made into a
"B". Needless to say, I took the teacher outside and kicked his ass while
asking him [you gotta talk to him while you kick his ass] why he decided to
change my grade. He told me that he read mine very early in the game and
after reading the rest, he thought I deserved a lower grade "relatively
speaking". This was the impetus for my hypothesis.

paul

p.s. This never happened -- well, not quite like that -- it was a female
professor and she told me to count to 10 while I was shouting at her.