[lit-ideas] Re: Grade inflation

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 12:37:14 -0700

I haven't got more than a few minutes here but I'd like to add a little
historical perspective to this discussion.  Those of you with longer
memories than mine, please correct where appropriate.  My sense is that
while the historical evidence shows that complaints about students'
attitudes, writing, etc. are not new, there have indeed been several changes
of mind in the past twenty or thirty years that we can now see resulted in
widespread grade inflation.  In no particular order they are:

The ebbing of agreement that merit is rare and precious.  We now must choose
to rebel against or to sign onto the notion that all children can be "above
average."

The development of agreement that encouragement and praise are more
effective in education than is criticism and negativity.

The spreading use of bonus assignments, and other devices that change
grades.

The development of agreement that effort can and should be evaluated.

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon