[lit-ideas] Re: Grade inflation

  • From: "Steven G. Cameron" <stevecam@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 16:01:37 -0400

Torgeir Fjeld wrote:

> On 12 Apr 2004 at 7:56, Steven G. Cameron wrote:
>

>>**To help monitor plagiarism, often time is spent viewing copies of
>>previous students' papers in my files.
>

> I never understood what plagiarism is. Please explain. And don't plagiarize.

**Difficult to know if you're kidding, but simply: plagiarism might be
defined as using work from someone else without giving proper credit to
the source -- claiming everything you've written is your own, when it's not.

>>Rereading my comments in the margins, as well as the final ones to
>>them accompanying the grades at the bottom, it occurred to me that my
>>perspective is frequently different than my original impression.
>>Since this is so, isn't grading an incredibly subjective art --
>>undoubtedly many of the grades assigned by me would not be the same if
>>evaluated by another professor (or even me on different days).  What,
>>therefore, is the value, of the grading procedure??
>

> I don't know, but does it have to be objective to have a value?

**No. But we ascribe immense importance to grades: scholarships,
promotions, employment. They aren't objective; can they be fair??
Doesn't seem likely. In math and the sciences assigning value to

**(Without diving back into discussion of the sublime) it is the public
who decides when a work of art, a play, movie, book, poem, music,
advertisement is successful.  For papers and essays, a lone professor is
the sole arbiter... one voice, one opinion -- no matter how honest,
meticulous, and caring...

TC,