[lit-ideas] Re: Gnostic Scriptures

  • From: Ed Farrell <ewf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 08:21:55 -0700

I don't think there is much controversy regarding the existence and authenticity of the Nag Hammadi library, or that the documents it contains are representative of Gnostic thought at the time they were written. But I don't think the finding of the books has radically changed scholarly understanding of Gnosticism or its relation to early Christianity. Many sources for scholarly understanding of Gnosticism existed prior to the discovery of Nag Hammadi (see Hans Jonas' discussion of the relation of these sources to the Nag Hammadi texts in "The Gnostic Religion," Beacon Press, 1958). That this is true is underscored by Elaine Pagels' regard for the Jonas book as a "classic introduction" to Gnosticism even though it was written before the Nag Hammadi texts were discovered (the second edition, referred to above, does discuss the texts however).

Orthodox Christians still regard Gnosticism as a Christian heresy. My sense is that non-Christians (especially those of the agnostic variety) are often more sympathetic to Gnostic thought than to Orthodox Christian thought, because Gnosticism appeals to the common sense notion that great cosmic truths (assuming they exist) are obviously well hidden and, if they are know to men, have been passed on as well-kept secrets. Historically Gnosticism represented the major dissenting view on the dogma of Christ's bodily resurrection, and I think the mere fact of this dissent makes it attractive to many moderns soured on Christianity.

Omar Kusturica wrote:

I realize that some here are busy studying Ayatollah
Khomeini's instructions on masturbation, but I have a
question for those with less practical interests. What
is the current Christian and/or scholarly opinion on
the so-called Gnostic scriptures found in the
so-called Nag Hammadi Library ?

http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/nhl.html

----------------- Edward W. Farrell ewf@xxxxxxxxxxx