[lit-ideas] Re: Giving Thanksgiving/Adorno and TAP

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 10:10:52 -0800 (PST)

--- On Tue, 12/7/10, Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Giving Thanksgiving/Adorno and TAP
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tuesday, December 7, 2010, 5:01 PM

Omar wrote

Well, I guess that it is in the eye of the beholder to some extent, but I
believe that few if any democratic states grant the chief executive the ability
to veto legislation, appoint the supreme judges and the major ministers
(Secretary of State, Defense etc) and issue decrees that have the force of law
as long as they are not openly unconstitutional.
I suggest you look up the word 'authoritarian' in any English dictionary. It is
not in the eye of the beholder that in the US the president is not elected by a
majority of the people,' etc. It's interesting that you believe that the
president of the US has some absolute power; that he or she cannot be removed
from office by legal means, etc., and that you had no clear understanding of
how the US is governed before you pronounced it 'authoritarian.'

*I didn't say that the US president has "absolute power" and I am pretty sure
that "authoritarian" is not synonimous with absolute power. I also never said
that the US president cannot be impeached at least in theory, and perhaps in
practice. I don't understand why you argue with things I never said and then
get all exasperated about it.