[lit-ideas] Re: Giving Thanksgiving/Adorno and TAP

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 07:49:33 -0800 (PST)

Perhaps I should modify to say that: "The concept of dictatorship entails
ruling without express consent of the people." A dictator who happens to be
supported by the majority of the populace but does not hold elections, i.e.
does not seek their express consent is still a dictator. But if he then decides
to hold elections, and gets elected regularly, he is at that point in time no
longer a dictator.

For example, it seems to me that George Bush Jr. was arguably a dictator during
his first term in office because he had either not obtained the support of the
majority of the voters or at least it was not clear that he did. But in the
second term he got elected, so shall we say that at that point "The people
voted for dictatorship" or that at that point he ceased to be a dictator ? It
seems to me that the latter makes sense.

"Clearly it is not logically possible to _simultaneously_ consent and to not
consent to 'X', and so 'X' cannot be done _simultaneously_ with and also
without the consent of the same individual or body. "

*I'd say that is pretty clear.

"This does not mean it is not logically possible for the same individual or
body to consent to an ongoing 'X' at some point and to withdraw their consent
at a later point."

*That is of course possible, and I already pointed out that at that point the
electee would indeed become a dicator.

O. Kusturica