[lit-ideas] Re: Gemutlich Krieg

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 18:11:43 -0800

On Mar 9, 2007, at 5:33 PM, Robert Paul wrote:
Once his parents came
from Germany to visit him, Papi und Mutti. At dinner one evening, Mutti
said to me, 'Der erste Weltkrieg war ein gemütlich Krieg.'

Please don't leave us there.  What on earth did you say in response?

My gast is flabbered, and yet I can guess what she meant: Less harm to civilians and prisoners, live and let live sections of the front, knights of the air usw.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon