[lit-ideas] Re: Gemutlich Krieg

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 18:03:21 -0800

On Mar 10, 2007, at 4:56 PM, Andreas Ramos wrote:

I wondered about Mutti's remark.

[snip]

So I can well understand that for her, the Great War was indeed gemuetlich. ("Gemuetlich" means "quite pleasant and charming"). It was a time of moral certainty, great social and technological advances, and significant changes.

I translated gemutlich as "good natured," and hence chivalrous, and so understood her to be thinking that the First World War was more "korrect," conducted along more gentlemanly lines than the second. I imagined her to be among Germans who said war is war and schnapps is schnapps and we can be forceful and even brutal without being uncivilized. Unlike those low class Nazis.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon