[lit-ideas] Re: Geary's New Play

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 21:37:12 -0800

JL imagines that

 >The under-graduate student keeps asking, "Will that be on the final?"
without specifying (but merely implicating) what 'final' she has in mind.>

Donal comments

If it is set at Oxford in any period after the 1850s, then the student
is likely to refer to "finals" [as in "Will that be in Finals?"] and not
"the final" singular. [I have never heard anyone use the singular, and
have been around since around 1850]. If set somewhere in America, say
the mid-West, I defer to others.

RP muses

I'm not sure precisely* what the relation is between one's tutors and what is asked on final exams, or indeed just what final exams at Oxford are. I assume that those who taught or lectured to or otherwise conferred with a student would, perhaps in consultation with other tutors, decide on the content of an exam (or exams), yet exams would not seem to be student-specific; that is (I take it) everyone in Mods
would have to pass an examination that

'has a reputation as something of an ordeal: until recently it consisted of 11 or 12 three-hour papers set across seven consecutive days, though this has now been modified. Students now take 10 or 11 three-hour papers across seven or eight days. Candidates for Classical Mods still face a much larger number of exams than undergraduates reading for most other degrees at Oxford sit for their Mods, Prelims or even, in many cases, Finals.' (Wiki)

And here I would ask if the finals referred to here are the sort Donal refers to, above. At

http://www.ox.ac.uk/students/exams/regs/

one will learn that at Oxford, subfusc must still be worn at examinations, or at least to and from them; that one may not communicate with any person during the exam, other than the invigilator; that one may not write in pencil, and that good luck charms and items (sic) are disallowed.

In most American universities, final examinations are the final examinations of single courses, e.g. Elementary Chinese, Number Theory, so that it would be natural for students to speak of a final _in_ a course, although the final for each would take place during 'finals week.'

Finally, the name given to a certain portion of the fly-over country in the US is The Midwest.

*Or even roughly.

Robert Paul