[lit-ideas] Re: Finals

  • From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 21:27:14 -0800

On Nov 21, 2013, at 9:37 PM, Robert Paul wrote:

> And here I would ask if the finals referred to here are the sort Donal refers
> to, above. At
>
> http://www.ox.ac.uk/students/exams/regs/
>
> one will learn that at Oxford, subfusc must still be worn at examinations, or
> at least to and from them; that one may not communicate with any person
> during the exam, other than the invigilator; that one may not write in
> pencil, and that good luck charms and items (sic) are disallowed.

I was there for the end of the exams this year.  One measure of the tension
generated were the pools of vomit [sick] on gravel pathways leading to the
river.  Having been bombarded with flour and so on, according to custom, those
wearing subfusc chug bottles of champagne, with quite predictable results.
Worlds away from most American campus exams.  Mutton College, however, may
challenge, having rituals of its own.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon