[lit-ideas] Will That Be In Finals?

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 19:39:23 -0500 (EST)

We were discussing Popper's treatment of anomalous monism vs neutral monism
 as inadequate vis–à–vis his interactionism. I proposed a Griceian
solution and  offered a list of references from the Stanford encyclopedia,
including an item  that described Neutral Monism "A Miraculous, Incoherent, and
Mislabeled  Doctrine".

R. Paul candidly asked if that would be in the final, referring,
apparently to an apocryphal play by M. Geary -- or J. M. Geary if you mustn't
--  or
is it must?

In a message dated 11/21/2013 6:11:03 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
If it is set at Oxford in any period after  the 1850s, then the student is
likely to refer to "finals" [as in "Will that be  in Finals?"] and not "the
final" singular. [I have never heard anyone use the  singular, and have been
around since around 1850].

Indeed, I think 1861 should be a good setting or re-setting (for  surely
"1860" may still be said to belong the "the 1850s").

>not "the final" singular.

The implicature seems to be that you are _finally_ being examined on _more
than one_ issue; hence the plural.

Or not.

Note that incidentally, Neutral Monism could NOT be in the finals in 1861,
since Russell coined the phrase some years later.

Cheers,

Speranza