[lit-ideas] Fw: Shock Art

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 19:19:18 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ; andreas@xxxxxxxxxx ; teemu17@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, July 18, 2008 5:49 PM
Subject: Shock Art

Geary: you *have* to let the folks on this forum know about the Ministry of
Metaphysics _summer semester_ on 'shock art'. Remember that student -- where
was she? Kenya? She brought her _grandmother_ to the show, and had her, naked,
recite from the Koran!

And then there was that boy -- was he South American -- who would recite in
American Native Indian language from the pages of the Apocalypse while combing
his dark hair with an ivory comb.

I suppose your favourite was the Swedish twins impersonating Castorra and
Polluxa as an attempt to turn male-based Greek mythology a
"feminism-digestible" thing.

Mine _has_ to be that Scottish professor of the St. Patrick Society (was he)
who would hold his ukelele and recite, "And a look in his eye seemed to say to
the sky ..." complete with chorus!

I also had fun with R. Emeritus Paul as member of the jury. He always had the
last final word, "unappealable", as you said!

Cheers,

JL

In a message dated 7/18/2008 3:56:01 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, rpaul@xxxxxxxx
writes:
  > Those who are behind in their reading about Dutch performance art begin
  > here, "Like terrorists, I work with the elements of shock and
  > disorientation.  The big difference is the scale...The big difference is
  > that unlike terrorists, I'm not aiming for fear"

  All sorts and conditions
  of famous logicians
  came hurrying round
  at a run...

  R. Paul,
  channeling

Get fantasy football with free live scoring. Sign up for FanHouse Fantasy
Football today.