[lit-ideas] Re: Frodo failed,

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 16:23:03 -0500

At 04:13 PM 1/17/2007, you wrote:
I wonder whether the Star Wars script writers did their allegorising (?) consciously or unconsciously. Consider:

1. The Dark Lord creates a false enemy and through this starts a war.

2. He attains democratic power under false pretenses.

3. He actively supports the fight against the false enemy.

4. He turns against the democratic system and manipulates its demise using emergency powers made necesarry by the war.

5. He sees through the destruction of the false enemy thereby ending the war.

6. He creates an empire.

Try watching the later films with this model in mind. Intruiging.

There is NO doubt in my mind that Lucas put Bush (and his buddies) in the last film -- Part III, can't remember the name, something about "revenge of the sith" maybe? Other than naming the characters after real dudes, there is direct allusions all the way through.

Paul Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx
Kingsville, ON, Canada