[lit-ideas] Re: Fleas

  • From: Mike Geary <jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2011 10:48:08 -0500

First to Chris Bruce:

I recognized the lines from Prufrock, but I'd never come across the word
"matutinal".  Being a good ole Catholic boy, I was well familiar with
matins, of course, but dismissed any possible connection with matutinal.
Well, obviously I'm the one who should be dismissed.  Thank's for the
addition to my vocabulary.  Now in hope of humiliating you, do you know the
word "tergiversate"?

Next, Lawrence:

Interesting comments.  I haven't self-identified as Catholic for 40 years,
so I have my doubts about those former beliefs freezing me into a a rigidity
of political thought.  I'm sure I'm ultra-liberal because my parents were
and I greatly admired and loved them and in many ways have tried to emulate
them.  But how explain your tergiversation?  I would guess that at some
point along the way you decided that liberalism was not in your best
interest.  Well, it's hard to argue that point.

I was surprised and a bit fascinated by the fact that your son is a handyman
-- my prejudice, mea culpa.  I install and service light commerical and
residential AC and heat, repair restaurant kitchen equipment (most of my
customers are independant restaurants), I've been doing this work for 35
years.  I enjoy this work more than teaching, more than managing restaurants
, more than managing a parts company and more than working for a TV station,
more than sacking groceries or cashiering or soda jerking or throwing papers
-- all of which I've done.  I like being my on my own.  I totally understand
your son's love for handymanning.

Now to Jack Sprat:

I have trouble finding anything to disagree with you about -- except maybe
that you choose to lurk rather than comment.  Hope to see more contributions
in the future.

Mike Geary
in the spirit of Labor Day, I must go labor now.  Installing a central AC
unit, must be finished by Thursday.  No rest for the weary.