[lit-ideas] Re: Fleas

  • From: cblists@xxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2011 11:44:51 +0200

On 1-Sep-11, at 10:32 AM, cblists@xxxxxxxx wrote:

... Chris Bruce.
still not wearing the bottoms
of his trousers rolled, in
Kiel, Germany

P.S. Speaking of eating peaches: I've been recently (re)listening (after almost four decades!) to one of the loveliest bits of musical matutinal freshness that I've heard:

"...
Early morning sunshine
tell me all I need to know
..."

Mike, being a good old southern boy of a certain age, will surely be able to explain.

I have been asked offlist for an explanation of these cryptic remarks, and, as Mike is not forthcoming, I respond:

From Eliot's 'Lovesong of J. Alfred Prufrock':

" I grow old . . . I grow old . . .
 I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.

Shall I part my hair behind? Do I dare to eat a peach? "

On the Allman Brother's (originally released as double LP) album EAT A PEACH one finds the song BLUE SKY penned by Dicky Betts; recorded by the band, featuring Duane Allman (not long before the latter's untimely demise in a motorcycle accident) some forty years ago. (This was the bit of 'musical matutinal freshness' from which I quoted.)

The song can be heard at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddRNtGDlIjU

I have read that Dicky Betts had the integrity to refuse to perform the song for some time following his divorce from Sandy "Bluesky" Wabegijig, for whom the song was written.

Chris Bruce,
looking forward to a Fall filled
with matutinal freshness, in
Kiel, Germany