[lit-ideas] Re: Fan Fluttering 101

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 10:13:18 -0800

I wonder if there's a pattern developing. I've only two points of evidence, and they're hardly substantial, but why should that stop a lit-ideas theory?

My theory is this: in response to the uncertainty about core stuff in the art and literary worlds at present, people have concentrated attention on peripherals.

Evidence item #1: literary folk seem unusually interested at present in the formatting of essays, focusing on whether they conform to MLA guidelines etc. It has always been the case that essay submissions must conform to guidelines, but my daughter's teachers, some of my colleagues, even a former member of this list have all caught my attention recently with thoughts about how important it is not to use the word "you" in a formal essay, how to title an essay in MLA format, how much they are irked by footnotes and other indications of allegiance to Chicago or other sects. Could it be that as the content of essays has become less engaging, and as the confidence that patterns are interesting and substantial, we have migrated to royal courts to bone up on fan-fluttering 101, and to whisper about how improperly dressed thoughts are nowadays?

Evidence item #2: at PNCA there is a faculty art exhibition coming up. A catalog will be produced. Thus the work needs to be photographed. The older faculty regard such photographing as a quasi- secretarial task, something that is not central to making art. The younger faculty regard "documenting" work as an important skill that shows you are a working artist.

Thoughts?

David Ritchie,