[lit-ideas] Re: Facing the Music

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 13:56:28 -0500

The implicatures.

My last post today.

In a message dated 1/22/2015 1:33:39 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
ewf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Hello Omar, We do, but I'm uncertain of any  correlation.  Here's what my
Historical Dictionary of Slang (Farmer and  Henley, London, 1890) says: The
term is American (not Balkan!) in origin.   But you knew that.  It goes on
the say: J. Fenimore Cooper derived it from  the green-room, whence actors go
on the boards and literally 'face the music.'  Another traces it to militia
musters, where every man is expected to appear  equipped and armed, when in
rank and file, facing the music.  A third  derives it from drumming out of
the army. It then cites use of the term in  American newspapers circa 1857
and 1889. So except for the James Fenimore Cooper  derivation, this largely
agrees with the article you posted.  I couldn't  find any reference to funeral
music, but who knows--the term's origins are  rather uncertain it would
seem.

>>and literally 'face the music'.

This might interest McEvoy (or not).

I did a search in Google for "he literally faced the music". Two hits
retrieved:

Western Animation/Chowder - Television Tropes &  Idioms
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/.../Chowder
Traduci questa  pagina

"As punishment, he (literally) faced the music by having them sing the
show's theme song. Chowder hummed along while Shnitzel begged them to  stop."

Chowder - All The Tropes  Wiki
allthetropes.wikia.com/wiki/Chowder
Traduci questa pagina

"As punishment, he (literally) faced the music by having them sing the
show's theme song. Chowder hummed along while Shnitzel begged them to  stop."

Actually, two hits of the same collocation.

It might seem that to take 'face the music' literally, the reference must
be to W1, not W3. Since a 'face' belongs in W1 and an item of W1 (to use
Popper's jargon) can only 'face' an item in the same world W1.

Cheers,

Speranza