[lit-ideas] Re: Facing the Music

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 11:43:01 -0500

In a message dated 1/22/2015 11:04:47 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx quotes:

"The earliest citation I can find for the phrase is from The New Hampshire
Statesman & State Journal, August 1834."

"Will the editor of the Courier explain this black affair. We want no
equivocation - 'face the music' this time."

It is ironic that the writer in The New Hampshire Statesman & State
Journal, while 'wanting no equivocation', revels in one, since he does not
explain what music is to be faced _that_ time.

It is also scary that the the author in The New Hampshire Statesman &
State Journal uses 'scare quotes': "'face the music' this time."

Usually, the implicature of the scare quotes is that the expression is
phony.

E.g. the "phony" war. "Do you want some 'cake'?", etc.

Cheers,

Speranza