[lit-ideas] Re: Do ideas exist before being articulated?

  • From: "Julie Krueger" <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 02:29:27 -0500

I agree completely that it makes very good sense (and interesting from an
ontological perspective).  When I write, my writing informs me, I learn from
it, I recognize, realize, notions that were hitherto hidden from me,
invisible.  I learn more from my free-style writing than I do from logical
thought and serious introspection.  However.  I have claimed for a very long
time (decades) that ideas precede language -- in that if you were a deaf
person on a desert island, washed ashore as an infant, never meeting a
speaking person, you would develop a code of sorts -- a language -- a series
of grunts or calls or whatever -- that would match threatening
sea-creatures, edible food, danger, pleasure, etc.

That is -- whether or not I have the word "red" or "rouge" or "roja" or
"edray" in my vocabulary -- I still recognize the color when I see it.  If
I'm able to articulate to another human being what it is that I can see is
another matter -- particularly problematic as I have no real way of knowing
whether what I am seeing bears any resemblance at all to what the other
person is seeing in terms of their experiential cognitive processing.

Perhaps you are referring to a rather particular, specific
private-language.

Again -- why cannot both models be valid??

Rambling, I am, at 2:30 a.m.

Julie Krueger