[lit-ideas] Re: Dis Traction of August

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 16:05:53 -0400

>1. Given that many people often feel that life is hard to take
>this inevitable or not? Do we *have* to feel this way, or is there an
>option?

I think the only absolutely secure option is sedation. But what kind of
existence is that. Socrates would certainly shake his head and
mutter  "malaka."  Our distractions sort of hint at sedating our
unconscious while still allowing us to "enjoy" the ride. The key is
balance, and I (and quite a few others) are unbalanced most if not
otherwise incapacitated with sumpfin to do.

>2. If there *is* an option, shouldn't it be at least a major part of
>philosophy's job to try to find ways of changing this situation?

Given this question, it is obvious that Mike has answered in the
affirmative to number 1. At least, we think there may be be a theoretical
option. Hedging, but that's better un nuffin.

>  If it refuses or fears to concern itself with such questions, doesn't
> philosophy forfeit all claims to be taken seriously?

Yes it does. And so does this list. But it's a nice distraction.

looking to Sirius,

paul

Paul Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx